A Potted History of Wysall
Wysall is situated 9 miles south-west of Nottingham, in the broad valley of the Kingston Brook. In 1801 its population was 260. This rose to a peak of 379 in 1841, after which it declined to 162 in 1921, since when it has slowly increased to 254 in 1991.
For most of its history Wysall has been a self-contained agricultural village, accessible only by minor roads. It did not share in the growth of framework knitting in some neighbouring villages during the 19th. century.. But Whites 1894 directory records the presence of school, blacksmith, wheelwright, joiner, bootmaker, Stilton cheese manufacturer, shopkeeper, grocer, butcher and public house. All have now disappeared except the pub, The Plough; today most people commute to work and school outside the village.
The parish church, with tower and steeple, is mainly 14th. century, with Norman stonework in the north wall. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1825 and replaced in 1871 by the present Methodist church. A National school was also built in 1871, but this closed in 19??