A Potted History of Thorpe-in-the-Glebe
The former village of Thorpe lies to the east of the road between Wysall and Wymeswold. In 1991 there were 37 people living in dwellings - mostly farmhouses or former farmhouses, scattered throughout the parish, none of them forming a cluster. The village is marked today by a collection of mounds and dips, quite unlike normal ridge and furrow, adjoining Church Site farm, and by the intersection of public footpaths.
The village was deserted following the enclosure and conversion of much of its arable land into a sheep run in the late 15th. century. The Hall and windmill were soon abandoned, and there is today no visible trace of them. The Norman church, which stood on a slight rise beside Church Site farm, lasted longer: the vicar of Wymeswold, Edward Moises, who later became rector of Keyworth, records in his parish register having taken a marriage service there in 1712. The tower was still standing in 1810, when a boy climbed it to collect jackdaw’s eggs. The last service was conducted on the site in 1817, and the last rector was inducted into what was clearly by then a sinecure, in 1868.
Thorpe is a Scandinavian name meaning secondary settlement; perhaps it originated as an outlier of Wysall. Glebe here is said to mean earth clods, reflecting the heavy clay soils, rather than the more common meaning of church land - an old name for the parish is Thorpe-in-the-Clottes. The Parkyns family of Bunny Hall owned land here, the rent from which was used to finance the upkeep of widows and the education of children in the old school, built in 1700 beside Bunny church.