A Potted History of Bradmore
Bradmore is situated six miles south of Nottingham alongside the A60, once the turnpike road between Nottingham and Loughborough. It overlooks a ‘broad mere’ or shallow post-glacial lake, now drained and farmed, from which its name is derived. One of its traditional occupations was the collection of rushes.
Except for the tower and steeple, the 14th Century, Anglican church was destroyed by fire in July, 1705, as were many other neighbouring wood-and-thatch buildings. The latter were replaced by more substantial brick buildings by the then Lord of the Manor, Sir Thomas Parkyns, (‘The Wrestling Baronet’). These buildings can still be seen today. The church, however, was not rebuilt, though a small hall was erected next to the tower in 1881, where services are now held once a month.
It’s population in 1801 was 325 - the same as Keyworth’s - but after reaching a peak of 416 in 1841 it declined to 192 in 1931 and is today (1991 census) 293. Until recently it was predominantly an agricultural community, though there was a small framework knitting industry in the 19th. century. Most of the old farm buildings have now been converted into private dwellings. There used to be a shop, post office and two public houses, all of which are now closed. Some old field names indicate other former activities: Mill Close, Brick kiln Close, and Vineyard. There were also two fields called Bastard! Today, Bradmore is mainly a commuter village with most people earning their living outside the village
BUNNY & BRADMORE
Bradmore has, for centuries, been linked with Bunny: the Lord of the Manor and owner of all the parish land lived in Bunny Hall, while the vicar lived in Bunny vicarage. The church was, for most of its history, a chapel of ease with no font or graveyard - baptisms and burials had to be conducted in Bunny. There was never a purpose-built day school - most children travelled to Bunny, Ruddington or further a-field, and still do. However, Bunny Methodists have to travel to Bradmore: a still flourishing Wesleyan chapel serving both villages was built in Bradmore in 1830, and an adjoining schoolroom, used for Sunday School, was added in 1902.
For further information, visit the web site www.bradmore.uk.eu.org/